Miles and I decided to try our hand at baking an old-school favorite today; Oatmeal Cream Pie Cookies. They turned out pretty good, although a bit too gooey. I think it needs a bit more oats or flour but I'm not much of a baker by nature so I'm not sure.
First we make the batter for the cookies...yum!
Then we make the fluffy filling...
We even let baby Desmond try a little when he woke up from his nap:)
In case anyone wants to try it:
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups quick oats
2 teaspoons very hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In large bowl, cream margarine, sugars, molasses, vanilla, and eggs.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add to the creamed mixture; mix in the oats.
- Drop dough by TBS on ungreased sheets. (I used a small cookie scoop.)
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes,or until just starting to brown around the edges.
- They will look moist; don’t overcook.
- While the cookies bake prepare the filling.
- In small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water.
- Allow this to cool.
- Combine marshmallow cream, shortning, powdered sugar, and vanilla in med bowl; mix on hi until fluffy.
- Add the cooled salt water and mix well.
- Spread filling on flat side of one cookie, press 2nd cookie on top.